Stay safe while enjoying the Euro tournamentPosted
The UEFA Euro 2020 is set to kick off this Friday and North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is appealing to the public to keep safety in mind while enjoying the games.
Kevin Jones, Head of Community Safety, said: "We want our local community to have a memorable Euro tournament for all the right reasons, and we would urge people to consider safety while enjoying this exciting tournament.
"Cooking materials are the number one cause of accidental fires in the home - and a large percentage of these cooking fires are caused by occupiers under the influence of alcohol.
"Alcohol impairs judgement and ability so we are appealing to football fans to avoid cooking after having a drink and to think about the different kinds of distractions which may result in a fire, death or injury in the home or a collision on the road."
Kevin is issuing the following advice:
- Do not drink and cook – support your local take-away, get some food delivered to your home or get someone to cook for you.
- Ensure Euro memorabilia in the home such as flags and inflatables are not positioned close to any source of heat.
- Do not drink and drive – walk, get a lift or taxi.
- Ensure flags on vehicles are not positioned where they are likely to distract or obscure vision for the driver or any other driver on the road.
- Watching the games at home or down the pub – please follow the government’s Covid guidelines and stay safe.